Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 26 04:27:50 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 February 2015 at 12:06:53 UTC, Baz wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 February 2015 at 19:20:48 UTC, JN wrote:
>> https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02202015a
>>
>> Interesting...
>>
>> Apple is dropping GC in favor of automatic reference counting.
>> What are the benefits of ARC over GC? Is it just about
>> predictability of resource freeing? Would ARC make sense in D?
>
> Im not here to be liked so let's throw the bomb:
>
> http://www.codingwisdom.com/codingwisdom/2012/09/reference-counted-smart-pointers-are-for-retards.html
>
> The guy, despite of...well you know, is right, smart ptr are
> for beginner. The more the experience, the more you can manage
> memory by your own.

I am behind a firewall so I cannot read it, still here goes my
take on it.

Only people writing on their own, with full control of 100% of
the application code without any third party libraries can manage
memory by their own.

Add a third party library without possibility to change the code,
teams with more than 10 developers, teams that are distributed,
teams with varied skill set, teams with member rotation,
overtime, and I don't believe anyone in this context is able to
have on their head the whole ownership relations of heap
allocated memory.

I have seen it happen lots of time in enterprise projects.

Besides, the CVE daily exploits notification list is the proof of
that.

--
Paulo