[OT] HTML: div/iframe hybrid?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 26 17:29:13 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:31:43AM +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:34:53 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> > Opera used to have an "author mode" and "user mode", where you can
> > set up custom CSS that completely replaces the website's CSS at the
> > touch of a key. Whenever I come across an annoying site with
> > unreadable fonts, garish colors, way too many ads, or text that's
> > unreadable unless you turn on JS (ha! nice try!), a single key-combo
> > discards that whole nonsense and restores power to the user. Bam.
> > Sadly, after they ditched Linux, the Presto engine, the original
> > devs, and jumped on the Chrome bandwagon, Opera is pretty much dead
> > as far as I'm concerned, so these days I'm using Vimperator/Firefox
> > instead. While it *is* possible to setup user CSS, it's more tedious
> > than it has to be, and I'm not sure if it's possible to make it
> > switcheable via a key without having to edit .css files manually.
>
> wow, another once-i-was-happy opera user! i'm still using opera 12,
> 'cause all other browsers can't give me the features i want.

I clung on to Opera 12 for as long as I could, but in the past few
months its age is becoming increasingly obvious (and inconvenient), and
clearly that's only going to get worse with time. It's also becoming
clear that the complete lack of security upgrades is an ever-expanding
security threat, so I had to look for something else. Firefox was the
natural alternative, but I resisted it for a long time because I hated
the interface (esp. the Chrome-wannabe parts, and the pervasive
rodent-dependence). With Vimperator, however, it has finally become
usable (for the most part), so I started using it side-by-side with
Opera. It took a while to get used to, but one day I found myself
subconsciously reaching for Vimperator key combos even while using
Opera, and I knew it was time to finally let Opera go.

Farewell, Opera. Thanks for the ride -- while it lasted. Boo to the
people who twisted it into the caricature of its former self that is the
Opera of today.

The best compiler is between your ears. -- Michael Abrash