DIP74: Reference Counted Class Objects

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 27 08:00:20 PST 2015

On 2/27/15 7:42 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> S.foo() should have been annotated with 'return', but the programmer
> forgot and the compiler still accepts the code without any warnings,
> thereby violating @safe.

That is correct. However, the user is on the hook because her use of
@trusted when deallocating the array.

I think the right thing to do about owned data is to give it its own
abstraction, and plant it in the standard library. RCSlice would be an
obvious go-to structure. Could you consider defining an OwnedSlice and
see how far you can get?

Andrei