[OT] HTML: div/iframe hybrid?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 27 09:26:45 PST 2015

On 02/26/2015 02:59 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 02/26/2015 03:30 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>> AFAIK, <div src="..."> syntax was proposed for this purpose (with
>> fallback) in early editions of html5, don't know if it made it into the
>> standard.
>
> Hmm, just looked that up, but all I found on that was one page that
> implies (sadly, with no sources referenced) it did not make it in:
>
> http://hannah.wf/why-dont-all-html-elements-have-a-src-attribute/
>
> However, looks like what happened instead was iframe grew a "seamless"
> attribute, which frankly looks pretty damn sweet:
>
> http://benvinegar.github.io/seamless-talk/#/12
>
> Still researching browser compatibility and adoption though.
>
> TL;DR: New in HTML5: <iframe seamless src="url" /> is the answer
> (assuming it isn't still *too* new, not sure yet)

Well, it appears seamless iframes are basically useless despite (from
what I can tell) apparently being in the spec for a few years now.
Doesn't work at all in even the latest FF. Didn't bother testing the
others, but according to this, even today seamless iframes are still
supported in exactly *nothing*:

http://caniuse.com/#feat=iframe-seamless

Setting the "display:block" on the iframe's css doesn't help, it just
affects placement, not how it gets sized.

There are a few basic CSS settings that help a *little* bit though:

border-width: 0px;
background-color: transparent;
padding: 0px;
overflow: hidden;

Too bad :(

Is it just me or does the moniker "HTML5" seem pretty useless since
there doesn't appear to have ever been any *actual* HTML5 spec, just an
ever-changing target with piecemeal browser adoption?