Improving ddoc

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 01:07:37 PST 2015

On 12/31/2014 3:19 PM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 > Walter and Andrei seems to be sure that Ddoc is human-readable,

It doesn't help  matters when the examples posted to show how "unreadable" Ddoc
is are both misuse of Ddoc and extremely poor whitespace formatting, comparing
it with carefully formatted Markdown.

I've seen this repeatedly in that thread, by multiple authors, including you. It
is not compelling any more than if I tried to show D was better than C++ by
showing sloppy and incompetently written C++ code.

>  anything less
> powerful than Ddoc will be rejected with arbitrary reason (see Walter
> posts about escaping in markdown, for example).

The complaint was made about needing escaping in Ddoc, and then it is arbitrary
when I point out that all markup languages need escaping, including Markdown?

And lastly, the general problem users have with documentation in Phobos is not
that it is written in Ddoc. That has NOTHING to do with it, it's an excuse.
Nobody has yet taken me up on my offer to take their text documentation and add
markup for them. Few people being willing to write good content is the problem.
No documentation tool can fix that. Non-existent documentation can be not
written using any tool.

Some have been recently stepping up to create PRs to fix documentation in
Phobos. That's what we need, and I thank the people doing it: aldacron,
AndrejMitrovic, JakobOvrum, quickfur, ntrel, andralex, klickverbot, kiith-sa,
Dicebot, schveiguy to name some.