Improving ddoc

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 02:02:42 PST 2015

On 01/01/15 10:33, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> No particular system was clearly dominant when Walter invented ddoc. Also I
> might be frequenting the wrong circles; most people I know and myself aren't
> fluent at all with doxygen. -- Andrei

It is really trivial to learn and quite effective.  I used it years ago for a
C/C++ project; when I encountered Ddoc my reaction was, "OK, it's basically a
custom and slightly weirder-looking variant of Doxygen..."

It has some _very_ nice features such as the easy inclusion of LaTeX formulas
into documentation, and in my experience Doxygen markup is much more
readable-in-source than Ddoc.

Three things I'm not sure about: (i) does it allow definitions of custom macros
as with Ddoc (although I'm not sure how necessary that is in practice); (ii) I
have a nasty feeling its @keyword markup syntax (e.g. @return @param etc.) might
not play nice with D code examples; (iii) I suspect we'd have to do some
integration work getting D support into Doxygen in order to enjoy the best of
all its features.