Improving ddoc

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 11:57:37 PST 2015

On 1/1/2015 8:39 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's just noisy and hard to read, as
> I think we've established to be the popular opinion.

I'm sure we can also agree that:

#include\
  <stdio.h\

#include\
  <stdlib.h>
int main\
(){print\
f("hello\
  world\n\
");retur\
n EXIT_S\
UCCESS;}

Is also hard to read. Yes, I'm being facetious, but take a look at those
examples posted here about how ugly Ddoc is - they're of that category.

Consider also this Ddoc code:

/****************************
This function does blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah is an amazing algorithm invented by I. M. Nerdly.

Params:
    x = the awesome input value

Returns:
    insightful description of the return value

Example:
---
int foo(int x) { ... stunning D code ... }
---

And lastly, people initially hated the D template syntax:

    foo!(args)
    foo!arg

but today it elicits nary a ripple - it's liked now. It's simply familiar now.