Improving ddoc

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 12:22:06 PST 2015

On 1/1/2015 12:04 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 January 2015 at 19:57:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Is also hard to read. Yes, I'm being facetious, but take a look at those
>> examples posted here about how ugly Ddoc is - they're of that category.
>
> The difference is the ddoc code posted here is copied verbatim from a real world
> project, Phobos, even the standard library.

I know. But have you ever seen badly formatted C code? Do you conclude from that
that C code is inherently ugly? Or do you say "hey, fix the formatting!"

> Why the hell were they written that way in the first place? Beats the crap out
> of me, but they ARE written that way...

Yep, and I've seen a lot of crappily formatted D code, too. That's pretty much
died down in the Phobos submissions, because the reviewers won't allow it in.
Little comparable attention, however, has been paid to the Ddoc style.

I did put to rights one of the posted examples:

   https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2828