Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 22:12:13 PST 2015

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 05:49:45 +0000
pops via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>   Talks about switching from windows to Linux. There are
> positives, but the debugging is not one of them.

*nix cultire and windows culture are very different. when "switcher"
tries to use his windows habits in *nix world, he found himself
frustrated by "inconvenient tools" and such. the same is true for *nix
guy trying windows.

i can say that visual studio suxalot. it's one of the worst things i
ever used in my life. but you know why? 'cause it's doing everything
not in the way i used to.

for windows folks "integration" is "having everything in one big app".
for *nix folks "integration" is "having alot of reusable parts that can
be combined to create any necessary tool". gdb is such part. using that
part alone can be painful.

that's why *nix folks don't like IDEs. they have their vim/emacs, and
just extending that to get what they need. so they looking at visual
studio, for example, and see very inflexible tool: it doesn't even have
built-in scripting language, which is the key component of
"integration" as *nix folks see it!

*nix is not windows. windows is not *nix. they are two different
cultures. so when you saying that "*nix debugger expirience reminds me
of stone age", most *nix folks immediately thinks: "ah, another dumb
switcher who cannot understand that not everything in the world is
windows". please, don't be one of that dumbs.