Improving ddoc

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 2 06:31:28 PST 2015

On Thursday, 1 January 2015 at 20:15:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> A lot of the complaints about Ddoc clearly stem from people not
> realizing they can create their own macros. It's like not

On the contrary, the complaint is that you can create your own
macros and loose the semantics of the markup.

I looked at the possibility to create a high quality javascript
based front end to phobos documentation last year and the messy
macro-markup/generated html killed the project before it got
started.

> Math notation uses a ton of special characters, it's one of the
> reasons why Unicode was invented. Limiting yourself to
> non-Markdown ascii is extremely limiting. Heck, look at this:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=latex+math+symbols&biw=1282&bih=897&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pqqlVLbcM5TkoATv9oGABg&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ

LaTeX is not a standard. It is a quick'n'dirty macro-hack over
TeX.

If you want to mark up math, use HTML5's MathML and use MathJax
for browsers that don't fully support it.

http://www.w3.org/Math/

http://www.mathjax.org/sponsors/