GSOC - Holiday Edition

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 2 21:25:15 PST 2015

On Friday, 2 January 2015 at 15:28:58 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:

> Thanks for all the links, and sorry to hear that things haven't
> gone well.  Do you think it would be worthwhile having a 'Bare
> Metal D' project for this year, or do you think we would just
> be wasting the time of some student?

I think, without a few fundamental changes to the language and
the runtime, bare-metal programming in D will always be playing
second fiddle to C, and that significantly diminishes its appeal.
  As I and others have shown, it can be done, but without the
aforementioned changes, it will always feel hackish and be viewed
as little more than an interesting experiment. The changes I'm
thinking of would be very few, but fundamental breaking changes,
and that doesn't sit well with this community.  Anyone pursuing
bare-metal programming in D will need to create a slightly
different dialect of the language if they want it to be a tool
rather than a toy.

...and perhaps that would be a better GSOC project.  That is, to
fork the compiler and runtime and try to make it more suitable
for systems programming, with "systems programming" being defined
as creating the first layer of hardware abstraction.
Unfortunately, such a project would probably not be very
interesting to those who enjoy bare-metal programming, but rather
more for those that have interest in compilers.  I would not
market it as bare-metal programming in D, but as creating a
bare-metal dialect of D.

That's unfortunate, because if D were designed with bare-metal in
mind from the start, it would scale well to all programming
disciplines.  But since it was designed more as an efficient
applications programming language, you have to hammer to fit,
weld to fill, paint to cover to get it to scale down to
bare-metal.

Long story short:  Bare-metal programming in the current state of
D would be a fun and educational experiment, but would not be
something you could sell seriously to industry.  If fun and
education is all you're after then go for it. but a bare-metal
dialect of D is what's really needed for it to be taken seriously.

Mike