Community and contribution [was: Re: http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25]

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 3 06:42:59 PST 2015

On Saturday, 3 January 2015 at 00:06:10 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Obviously D does not have such a problem right now, but as the
> number of people active on the forums grows, there are
> inevitably going to be more and more instances of people
> behaving antisocially, and that does in turn make it more
> important to have some mechanism to ensure they are dealt with
> fairly and not arbitrarily.

I've heard this a few times before over the years, and it hasn't
happened yet. Perhaps we're not growing at the the necessary
rapid rate, but I think new people try to blend into what they
see other people doing, so as long as at any given time, the
majority of us behave fairly well, it will stay that way.

I agree with what you're saying about a fair process and I don't
think some guidelines about how to deal with trouble would be
bad, even if it is as simple as "please don't feed the trolls" or
even "turn the other cheek"*. But I also think we're doing OK as
it is right now and have been for a lot of years and probably
will be for many years more.

* fun fact, a lot of people see the "eye for an eye" thing as
being like a gross cruel and unusual punishment, but at the time,
it was actually quite progressive - it put limits on executive
power! If the rule is tooth for a tooth, the disciplinarian can't
arbitrarily decide to draw and quarter you because you punched
his buddy in the face. Goes to what you said about the fair
process.