http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 3 14:38:45 PST 2015

On Saturday, 3 January 2015 at 08:41:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/2/2015 9:27 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I feel like your resistance of comprehensive scope is some part
>> emotional, some part anecdotal... but little or not parts
>> experimentally based.
>> You appear to 'fear' what it would do... and maybe you have the
>> experience to judge that better than me, but I just can't see
>> it!
>
> Hardly anyone understood DIP69, and that one is very simple
> compared to a comprehensive ownership system.

Does this mean that D is not going to get a comprehensive
ownership system in a later edition (like D3)?

Because if that is not on the roadmap then I think you need to
spend a lot more effort on getting an efficient precise GC if you
want D to survive.

> Propose a design. I suggest, though, that if it was half as
> easy as you say, it would already exist in multiple languages.
> It's not like nobody thought of it before.

How about making all functions that take references/pointers
templates and define protocols for relaying information to the
compiler? I know Manu will hate that, but are you against it?