http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 3 20:13:39 PST 2015

On 4 January 2015 at 13:34, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/2015 5:12 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> I was firmly in support of Marc's design. I'm not sure why it was
>> rejected.
>> What were the problems? Why did it become a storage class, other than
>> because of fear that it might pervade too deeply if it were part of
>> the type?
>

> It will pervade deeply if it was part of the type.

Right, and that's the entire point.
Are there problems with that, or just fear of the scope of the change?

I don't see how an effort to keep this confined within a small box
such that it doesn't pervade can ever result in orthogonal behaviour.
It's too important a concept, and it will appear everywhere, in all
kinds of situations. Much more than ref I'm sure.
Any time the concept finds itself bleeding outside it's little box,
the problems will be awkward and practically unmanageable.