Community and contribution [was: Re: http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25]

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 4 02:33:25 PST 2015

On 03/01/15 15:42, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I've heard this a few times before over the years, and it hasn't happened yet.
> Perhaps we're not growing at the the necessary rapid rate, but I think new
> people try to blend into what they see other people doing, so as long as at any
> given time, the majority of us behave fairly well, it will stay that way.
>
> I agree with what you're saying about a fair process and I don't think some
> guidelines about how to deal with trouble would be bad, even if it is as simple
> as "please don't feed the trolls" or even "turn the other cheek"*. But I also
> think we're doing OK as it is right now and have been for a lot of years and
> probably will be for many years more.

I think that's fair enough.  Bear in mind that what I actually proposed was a
guideline for one quite specific scenario, i.e. how to handle people asking for
features, proposing ideas, and so on, who were not willing or able to step up
and deliver them.

I'd be happy if that principle was simply accepted by core community members (it
seems to have been) and promulgated by example and polite nudges.