D and Nim

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 5 06:22:03 PST 2015

On Monday, 5 January 2015 at 13:47:24 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> For C++ there is the Itanium ABI, COM/WinRT on Windows and the
> upcoming C++17 ABI.

If there will be a C++17 ABI and it is adopted, then that will be
the beginning of the end for C++ IMO. (Wishful thinking... ;-)

> Yes there are lots of options, still the ones that live longer
> as system programming languages, are the ones that get OS
> vendor adoption.
>
> So far, it has always been the case.

By my definition of "system level programming" the only adopted
system level programming language since the 1980s has been C (and
C++ only as C-with-bells-and-whistles). Then you have some fringe
languages such as Ada, and now probably also Rust as it is
approaching version 1.0.

I cannot really see Nim or D taking that slot. They appear to
have too wide a scope. I think only a focused language that can
bring along better optimization and manual memory handling has a
chance against C/C++ in system programming. (We have to remember
that C/C++ are moving too with various extensions that also are
gaining traction: OpenMP, Cilk...)