Phobos colour module?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 5 07:57:30 PST 2015

On Friday, 2 January 2015 at 08:46:25 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Not universal enough? Colours are not exactly niche. Loads of
> system
> api's, image readers/writers, icons, they all use pixel buffers.
> A full-blown image library will require a lot more design work,
> sure,
> but I can see room for that in Phobos too.

I feel Phobos need to be broken up. There is too much esoteric
stuff in there and too much essential stuff missing. I think some
kind of "extra" hierarchy is needed for more application specific
functionality.

But I agree that colour theory is solid enough to be considered
stable and that it would be a great benefit to have a single
library used across multiple projects. It is also very suitable
for templated types.

A standard image library would have to be templated with optional
compiler-specific optimizations (SIMD) for the most usual
combination. There are too many representations used in different
types of image processing to find common ground (unless you limit
yourself and just select PNG as your design base).