D and Nim

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 5 10:44:13 PST 2015

On Monday, 5 January 2015 at 15:51:14 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:

> I think a C++ successor is a language that 'enough' people
> would choose where before they'd have chosen C++. Java has
> already cleared that bar.

Still it leaves out the systems programming space, which is what
is being discussed.

Java might have again a shot at it, when AOT, value types and the
new JNR (Java Native Runtime) land, but that is only planned to
be fully available by Java 10 timeline.

There are implementations like JikesRVM, Excelsior JET Embedded,
MicroEJ among others that target bare metal, but many developers
aren't aware of them.

--
Paulo