Questions about TDPL book

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 6 01:51:12 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 6 January 2015 at 03:20:27 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> Is it still worth buying TDPL since it's almost 5 years old? I
> realize classics like K&R C are near timeless, but D has seen a
> lot of changes.
> Has the ebook version been updated at all(i.e, with the errata?)
> How is the physical quality of the print book?

Andrei is a very good writer and presenter of ideas, so I'd say
it's still worth it if you want to learn D.  The book was written
to some extent as a sort of spec, so there are still features in
the book that are unimplemented, meaning I don't think you have
to worry much about changes.  Of course, it isn't continually
updated like Ali's online book (http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/), so
it's missing a few recently added features.

I don't know if the ebook is updated, but the physical quality of
the softcover print book is not good.  Mine fell apart about
halfway through reading it, it's in 3-4 chunks now.  I wish there
had been a pdf version available at the time, as I always prefer
an electronic version and bought the pdf version of Adam's book.
I wasn't interested in signing up for informIT's book
subscription service to read it on a screen.