An idea for commercial support for D

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 6 06:07:48 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 6 January 2015 at 13:34:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Maybe a handful of FOSS zealots would leave, but the resulting
> commercially supported D would be so much better, they'd be
> swamped by the new people coming on board. :)

If there is a market for a commercial version of D then I think
the most sensible thing for a company would be to create a
dialect and only distribute binary versions. Maybe a free edition
for non-commercial use. The reasons for this is simple: the D
community is not large enough to keep a commercial vendor from
improving the language semantics. There is no installed base...

I don't think that would be a bad thing either... It would not
kill D, it would just create a newD.