Ready to make page-per-item ddocs the default?

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 8 04:31:06 PST 2015

On 1/7/15 10:55 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 at 15:42:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> * I still have reservations about using Disqus.
>>
>> I did keep that in mind. The long and short of it it it's impossible
>> to make a change that everybody likes. We must move forward.
>
> I agree, it might very well be the least of all evils.

Just a thought on this -- from personal experience I like disqus quite a
lot for commenting on fleeting topics, such as blog posts or articles.
But these are quite static pages. However, I've benefited greatly from
e.g. php doc comments which show ways to solve problems I am trying to
solve. So I think we should keep these for that purpose.

We have several issues to consider with disqus (or any commenting system):

Inevitably, questions about the docs will be asked. If nobody looks at
the docs (and let's face it, most of our veterans do not look at the
docs every day), then the perception is that nobody is listening. Can we
at least forward the posts to a NG/mailing list? I doubt such questions
would happen frequently.

I think anyone who has commit rights to any D project should be made
moderator so they can stomp out trolls, remove fleeting/simple questions
(after nudging towards d.learn), etc.

There is going to be a push at some point to split up docs (e.g.
std.datetime), is it possible to move a disqus comment from one page to
another?

-Steve