4x4

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 8 11:48:40 PST 2015

Am Thu, 08 Jan 2015 10:50:10 -0800
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> On 1/8/15 9:16 AM, Kiith-Sa wrote:
> >
> > This is a problem with naming, not with DDox. It would look bad
> > regardless of generator, or regardless of documentation at all. You
> > could make it look slightly less bad, but you might end up hurting
> > other documentation. (I'm not implying  it should be renamed (bad
> > reason for breaking compatibility), but I see no point in changing
> > doc generation just because of some bad naming.)
>
> Sigh. No matter how I look at it, the same name repeated FOUR times
> only evokes Java's factory factory etc. -- Andrei

These 4x digest variants never occur in real code though:

http://dlang.org/library/std/digest/digest/digest.digest.html is a
class member function. You never use the full name,
it's always instance.digest()

http://dlang.org/library/std/digest/digest/digest.html could be used
with the full name. But ironically the name is not used outside of
std.digest so it's usually not necessary to use the full name.

So it doesn't look nice in the docs but it's not a huge problem when
writing code.