An idea for commercial support for D

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 9 03:52:17 PST 2015

You have already proposed this idea once and were explained in
great detail why it doesn't work. To be honest if something like
this would ever happen my first move would be to reach company
leadership and discuss possible full forking of D compiler as a
simple matter of ensuring business safety. This scheme introduces
unacceptable amount of risks for customer.

Selling of software in any for is a relict of stone age and we
must help it get forgotten.

At the same time offering more commercial support is something
very desired for business and something I'd like to see extended.
Right now pretty much only available option is to reach Walter
personally and agree on some contract with DigitalMars which is
both limited by manpower of a single person and not advertised in
any way.

This is same issue as one that was mentioned when discussing
vibe.d - having clearly communicated option to get a paid support
to fix any issues you may encounter is possible deal-breaker for
anyone considering risks of putting bet on D for next project.