Bare-metal programming in D (was GSOC - Holiday Edition)

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 9 15:18:47 PST 2015

On Friday, 9 January 2015 at 20:24:55 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

> Great. This helps me understand what is the main impediment at
> the moment. With that in mind I think we can formulate our GSOC
> plan better.
>
> As far as I can tell it can focus on 2 paths:
>
> a) Get embedded-savy student to work on MCU support and stuff
> while delegating most compiler tweaks to mentor(s) and core
> team.
>
> b) Get a student interested in compilers to deliver on getting
> robust cross-compiler with minimal run-time. Getting actual
> boards to work is then delegated to mentors.
>
> I am in favor of a).

I've found that I can only get so far with a), unless you are
willing to be rather tolerant with what D currently offers.  It
could be enough for a summer project, though, and I suppose it
could help highlight some of D's current shortcomings in this
domain.  Eventually, though, a) will need b), and I think b)
cannot be done properly without changes in the compiler.

Mike