Is it possible to collect object usage information during compilation?

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 10 10:31:17 PST 2015

On Saturday, 10 January 2015 at 17:31:42 UTC, DaveG wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 January 2015 at 13:19:19 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> Here is a sketch for an optimal solution. I'm actually eagerly
>> waiting that someone finally implements it.
>>
>> http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/cd375ac594cf
>
> I would also have to sell the idea of writing an ORM which is
> certainly not on the roadmap, but this will certainly help my
> argument.

Maybe not, something simpler than a full ORM should be compelling
also.

I guess you know about the ORM Vietnam [1], but also this [2] can
be of some help in selling a simple D solution.

I would like to see, someday, something in D that:

  - can check at compile time the syntax of SQL;
  - can check at compile time the SQL query statement against the
current DB schema;
  - can read the output of a DB schema dump at CT, and parse it
into what is needed for the previous points (more complicated);

The first point should be easy today, the second and the last one
involve more work...

[1]
http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx
[2] http://wozniak.ca/what-orms-have-taught-me-just-learn-sql