Any upgrades planned for D forums?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 10 21:28:56 PST 2015

On Saturday, 10 January 2015 at 22:29:42 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> I'm curious if there are any upgrades coming in the near future.
>
> As a D-Newbie, I find myself combing these forums regularly to
> try and get up to speed on what's going on, but there are
> several things making it difficult.
>
> -I have a valid email address in the box up there^, but I don't
> receive notifications when people respond to my posts here.
>
> -The way quotes are displayed is tough on the eyes. Rather than
> having the quotes grayed out and crowded by angle brackets, I
> would prefer something like stackoverflow where the text was
> black, but on a gray background, possibly with black outlines
> for nested quotes.
>
> -Looking at code here is brutal. Lines wrap way too short, no
> syntax highlighting. https://highlightjs.org/ supports syntax
> highlighting for the D language and is very easy to implement.
> And a scrollable area for code would be nice. I suppose code
> sections could be signalled by leading a line with 4 spaces
> like SO, or with [code] tags.
>
> -editing and delete posts after posting would be nice, but I
> assume this would be quite a bit more difficult than the above
> suggestions.

If you click on the "About this forum" link on the bottom of the
page, it takes you to a page with more info.  You can find the
github repo for this forum software linked from there and see all
the updates to the forum source:

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/commits/master

You can submit your issues there or even pulls to fix them.

As for your last request to edit and delete posts, since this
forum is a frontend for an NNTP server, as Tobias said, which are
then sent to a mailing list also, it's not possible to edit them
once they've been posted.  Not sure about deletion by users on
NNTP, certainly not on the mailing list.