Thoughts on replacement languages (Reddit + D)

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 05:37:31 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 12:57:17 UTC, MattCoder wrote:
> Since I'm relative new here, I want know from you agree with
> this statement:
>
> "
> [–]clay_davis_sheeit 4 points 17 hours ago*
>
> get real. D is more dead now than it was a year ago. if you
> won't accept repo counts, look at how many people attended D
> con vs Gophercon
> "

"more dead" is a very subjective term.

It is "more dead" in the sense that you got @nogc and there was a
sense of movement towards getting to a workable memory model, but
since then nothing has happend. One step forward, then stagnation.

The Rust team have announced that they are moving towards a
non-breaking stability situation within 6 weeks. And they have a
working memory model.

Andrei and Walter need to stop focusing on details for a moment
and focus more on presenting "a great plan" within 2 months.
Meaning stating goals and plans which gives D a direction that
developers want and can believe in.

If no clear statements on where D is heading appears in the near
future... Well, then I am pretty sure that many of those who
prefer D will give Rust a spin when Rust hits 1.0, out of boredom.

Rust is not complete feature wise, but a working memory model and
stability is more important than having single inheritance and
other convenience features...

So D is not dead, but is currently in a position where it can be
hit by both Go and Rust. The space between Rust (system
programming) and Go (server programming) is very tiny.