Thoughts on replacement languages (Reddit + D)

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 09:09:28 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 16:30:09 UTC, MattCoder wrote:
> Yes, that was what I saw on this thread:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lu6mhc$t2k$1@digitalmars.com

I don't think such statistics matters much. Downloads is a bad
measure, retention rate is what you want to measure (the ratio of
people trying vs using).

Just focus on what works for your projects and whether the
maturity level of the tool and the ecosystem supports what you
want to do.

Different languages appeal to different domains, but with the
less popular tools you have to do a lot yourself or create C/C++
bindings.

Compare eco-system repositories and you'll get an idea of what
profiles different languages have:

http://code.dlang.org/

http://godoc.org/-/index

https://github.com/search?q=stars%3A%3E10&l=rust