Thoughts on replacement languages (Reddit + D)

francesco.cattoglio via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 10:25:38 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 14:10:56 UTC, ponce wrote:
> None of them has Visual Studio integration with debugging
> support and that is pretty important for native and enterprise
> programmers.
If I remember correctly, just 2 month ago someone was explaining
how they lost a commercial user because D debugging experience
was still not good enough by a long shot. And in my daily use,
debug experience is still subpar on windows.

> only to discover it is not fun enough and fun is more important
> than "memory safety without GC".
WHAT? Syntax is boring, but I don't get the sense of the sentence

> I don't buy in the Rust team stability guarantees, you can't go
> from pondering about removing "box" this very week.
They have not broken any promise just yet! :P And I somehow hope
they can really manage a high level of stability after
discussing throughtly this much about every bikeshed
topic (including the recent int/uint change).

> And as soon as Servo is interrupted because of internal
> politics at Mozilla or rebudgeting (ie. very high probability),
> Rust will be halted in a heartbeat since loosing its purpose.
> Ever noticed the Rust original designer jumped off ship long
> ago?
I do agree that this might be a real risk. But the bus factor for
the D project ain't the smallest either. D development could
grind to a halt if a handful of developers retire from the
project.

I'm obviously being the devil's advocate here, but we can't just
say "D is much more far ahead, we have nothing to fear from Go
and Rust", because it's just not true. And I say it as a daily D
user, daily facing issues like the horrible
invalidMemoryOperationError exception.