Is anyone working on a D source code formatting tool?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 11:32:25 PST 2015

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:47:41 +0000
Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > I don't think it'll be hard to do as a builtin feature of dmd.
>
> It should be a separate tool not a part of one of the three compilers.
i can't see anything wrong with built-in tool. even if it can't be
configured to one's tastes, it's still good for occasional
contributors, who can stop worrying about code formatting and just
write that code.

and if it will be configurable (which is not that hard to do -- to some
extent), it will be usable for many more people. besides, being part of
the compiler this tool has a good chances of being always up-to-date.

as there is already .di emitter, i believe that is can be customised
further to do full code formatting. the only thing left to solve is
comments (not a small one, though). i.e. compiler already has most of
the work done, why not reuse it?