Could D compete in a competition like this?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 23:19:15 PST 2015

On Monday, 12 January 2015 at 03:35:32 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 13:10:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 13:01:36 UTC, Gary Willoughby
>> wrote:
>>> Could D compete in a competition like this?
>>
>> The guts will have to be done in assembly or Intel
>> intrinsics...
>
> Why do you say that.  Seems like picking the correct data
> structure/algorithms would be of more importance than the
> programming language.  I don't see why this couldn't be made
> 'fast' with just about any programming language.

1. It is a basic spatial indexing problem. This is a heavily
researched GIS area.

2. They list the hardware.

But, they are cheating you: «All submissions will become
public-domain DLLs.» + «prize money will be awarded to the three
fastest solutions that are quicker than our fast solution.»

They are basically trying to get "master-level students" to do
highly valuable work for "peanuts" in order to improve their own
commercial systems... :-/