Why exceptions for error handling is so important

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 01:30:48 PST 2015

On 1/11/2015 11:53 PM, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> On Monday, 12 January 2015 at 00:51:25 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> This matters very much for pipeline style programming (i.e. ranges and
>> algorithms).
>
> Here is one approach to it: http://fsharpforfunandprofit.com/posts/recipe-part2/

I don't fully understand it, but it appears to require that each component have
two paths coded into it - the regular path, and the error path, and there has to
be adapters for components that only have a regular path. Exceptions means only
one path has to be coded.

I do understand that the packed error code technique can be made to work, but
the inconvenience seems to be high.