Why exceptions for error handling is so important

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 09:22:26 PST 2015

On Monday, 12 January 2015 at 13:54:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> What makes you say that?

try/throw/catch is like 50x slower than doing nothing except
returning a value, but D's exceptions still tend to outperform
Java and C#; it isn't awful.

I still wouldn't use them for ordinary flow as a general rule
though, but I think they work well for cases where you ask a
function to do something and it just can't.

> Doesn't D still use the standard zero-cost EH that was created
> for Itanium, where you take the performance hit on unwinding?

I don't know, I'm just thinking about the bemchmarks.