Why exceptions for error handling is so important

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 13:35:19 PST 2015

Walter Bright:

> Yes, it still appears to be just a wrapper around returning two
> values, and that has to be done for everything.

There's lot of functional theory behind such ideas.

> There's another downside to returning two values - extra code
> is generated, and it consumes another register. It allocates
> very scarce resources to rare cases - not a recipe for high
> performance.

I suggest to start inverting your point of view: try to look why
the F#/Haskell way of managing errors is good in those
languages...

In bugzilla I asked for a "maybeTo" that is similar to the "to"
Phobos function, but it's @nogc nothrow because it returns an
Nullable!T result.

Bye,
bearophile