Why exceptions for error handling is so important

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 15:18:51 PST 2015

Ola Fosheim Grøstad:

> (Most of std::C++ is optional, templated and inefficient...
> There is no consistent culture. Though they got some thing
> right with unique_ptr and new language features recently.)

I don't agree. The basic ideas of STL by Alexander Stepanov are
very good. Phobos contains related ideas, repackaged in ranges.
Ranges are a little more fundamental, ma but in practice they are
often good enough and they are often more handy. Rust has chosen
a different way so far, but will improve with higher order
generics later.

Bye,
bearophile