Why exceptions for error handling is so important

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 03:23:14 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 10:58 +0000, John Colvin via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I've just seen that PyD has moved to github[1] and has had a
> considerable cleanup of documentation. Hooray :)   Now if only we
> had shared library support on OS X then I could actually use
> it....

The standard Go development team response to the "we must have dynamic
library support in Go" is "you do not need it, use operating system
processes and pipes". For operating systems that support many small
processes, this is a most viable solution. UNIX and Linux are supposed
to be such. Of course it helps that Go is channel and dataflow
focused, so it is just a variation of the standard model.

Conversely CPython (and now by necessity PyPy, but not Jython or
IronPython since it is irrelevant for them) trivially supports C and
C++ for extensions. If D is to compete in this milieu, it is
essentially to support C linkage dynamic linking on all platforms. I'm
on Linux, it works for me :-) On the other hand if it doesn't work on
Windows and OSX then perhaps it is broken?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk