GSOC - Holiday Edition

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 04:23:14 PST 2015

On 31/12/2014 03:25, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:

> 7) Bruno Medeiros - you suggested a DDT project. I've added it. Can you
> provide me with a few more details, and a bio.   Also, under what
> license is DDT released, I couldn't access any code on your GitHub page
> to check this.

Bio:
Lead developer of DDT - the Eclipse D IDE - on and off from as far back
as 2008. Has an interest in toolchain development for upcoming languages
such as D, particularly the development of IDEs and IDE semantic
functionality. Professionally, works mainly with core Java and Eclipse
RCP technologies - currently on R&D projects.

DDT is released under the Eclipse Public License. (one tiny component is
Apache License)  And yup, several source files still need to be cleaned
up to include the license info, I've been a bit lax with that in the past.

DDT core engine ideas (only core Java knowledge needed):
* Make the DDT semantic engine available as a command-line daemon tool
(similar to DCD).
* Add support for source formatting (with formatting options).
* Add support for semantic search in the semantic engine (search symbols
by name and type (for example: "where in my code is the function
std.stdio.writeln called?", or "which classes in my code subclass this
given class?") .
* Improve semantic engine / code completion capabilities (for example,
understand template instantiation, function overloads, etc.)

DDT Eclipse specific ideas:
* Improve/add UI support for DUB multiple build configurations + launch.
* Reduce usages of DLTK code, possibly refactoring or rewriting DLTK
functionality into an IDE-neutral layer (LangEclipseIDE).
* Add support for continuous build mode (build and report errors on the
fly).

Some of the items in both lists are a bit small for GSoC, so they might
have to be combined with others.

The good news is that this year with DDT there is a lot more
opportunities with core Java tasks only, which should make it easier for
a newbie to join in and contribute. But realistically, it's a long shot
that we'll get a candidate of quality for this proposal - Java interest
doesn't rank high in the D community... ^_^'

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros