Is anyone working on a D source code formatting tool?

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 04:48:25 PST 2015

On 11/01/2015 18:48, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 9:45 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> I'm  powerful writing a parser-generator, that will be able to
>> transform the
>> generated parse-tree back into source automatically.
>> writing a rule-based formatter should be pretty doable.
>
> Formatting the AST into text is straightforward, dmd already does that
> for .di file generation.
>
> The main problem is what to do about comments, which don't fit into the
> grammar.

It's not that hard to do that once you have a parser that preserves the
source range of all AST nodes. With that you can write a formatting
algorithm than *modifies* the original source, assisted by AST info,
instead of trying to recreate the whole source from the AST info alone.
This way you can reformat without losing comment data, even if the AST
doesn't have store comments.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros