Why exceptions for error handling is so important

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 05:28:03 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 12:53:15 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> As long as it is only used for scripting nothing.
>
> But when people remember to use it for writing applications,
> then it is just plain slow and I don't see PyPy fixing that.

But you don't need everything in an application to be fast, so
you can tie components together with scripting. Python is
essentially built up around having reasonably fast components
that are plugged together. But I expect that Python will be
displaced with something that can compile efficiently to
javascript.

One should keep in mind that  javascript is plenty fast for
UI-bindings. It is the C++ part of browsers (layout engine) that
is the slowest part today, IMO. When WebCL becomes available in
browsers you probably could do the majority of applications in
the browser. That is kinda scary.

So the utility of compiled languages is shrinking fast. A
language that makes it easy to connect building blocks and also
can be used on both a server and in a webclient (compilable to
javascript) will probably win in the long run.

> There is a reason why Go is getting Ruby and Python developers.

Sure, Go is useful for web related infrastructure, has static
typing, provides decent concurrency and latency and is more
"lightweight" than JVM. Good all round qualities.