Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 23:55:30 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 04:29:57 UTC, Paul O'Neil wrote:

> I put off some documentation updates a few months ago because
> it wasn't
> worth the investment yet to figure out how to build the
> website.  The
> wiki pages appeared to be about building the compiler, which I
> didn't
> realize I should be interested in.  This barrier is too high.

I know the feeling.  I finally figured out how to get a single
ddoc file to html so I could help update the documentation.  I
added a few notes to the dlang.org CONTRIBUTING.md [1] file a
while back to help other users with that.  It's probably not very
noticeable there, but I don't understand the build process well
enough to do a proper job.

[1]
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Why does documentation need to be "built" anyway.  I understand
the autogenerated stuff from the source code, but not the
website.  Would it be better to wikify it, somehow, in GitHub
pages?

Mike