Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 14 07:27:10 PST 2015

On 2015-01-14 00:20, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hey folks,
>

> Over the time a number of stuff has become quite duplicated across our
> makefiles for dmd, druntime, and phobos.
>
> These include fetching OS and model but (newer) general-purpose macros
> for e.g. rebasing repos, see
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/posix.mak#L37.
>

> I think it's time to reduce clutter and duplication by migrating such
> common stuff into one common.mak file. Question is, where should that
> file sit? One candidate is tools/ but it's not really a tool. Another
> candidate is dmd/src/ because that would be the first thing anyone
> depends on.

Oh God, please no. I really, really hate that the makefiles are are
looking in folders outside of the repositories.

> Ideas?

If you really want to do something like this I would recommend creating
a new repository, acting like a super repository, including the other
repositories as submodules. Then you can create a new makefile that
builds everything. Although, I still don't want the makefiles in the
existing repositories be dependent on the new repository.

--
/Jacob Carlborg