Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 14 08:50:53 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 23:20:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hey folks,
>

> Over the time a number of stuff has become quite duplicated
> across our makefiles for dmd, druntime, and phobos.
>
> These include fetching OS and model but (newer) general-purpose
> macros for e.g. rebasing repos, see
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/posix.mak#L37.
>
> I think it's time to reduce clutter and duplication by
> migrating such common stuff into one common.mak file. Question
> is, where should that file sit? One candidate is tools/ but
> it's not really a tool. Another candidate is dmd/src/ because
> that would be the first thing anyone depends on.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Andrei

IMO helpers (such as git helpers) are not part of the build
process, so they should not be part of the build files. Few
people care about make rebase. I'm not saying we should delete
them (they obviously are useful to you), but moving them to tools
might be a good start.

For druntime / phobos build... That's really a shame we don't
have a standard D tool to build D code, cross platform.
If we had, not only would we promote an even saner image of our
tooling ('hey look, dogfooding'), we won't have to solve the same
problems over and over again, so both druntime / phobos and the
tool would benefit from this, but ofc it will require some
initial work.
If someone wants to get this project started, I have a suggestion
for the name: dub

Okay, sarcasms appart, would that be a possibility for us to
switch to dub in the long run ? I'm not sure dub is ready for
that ATM, but I'm confident it could be made ready without much
work.