Common makefile (gasp) stuff

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 14 09:01:45 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 04:27:10PM +0100, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 2015-01-14 00:20, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
> >I think it's time to reduce clutter and duplication by migrating such
> >common stuff into one common.mak file. Question is, where should that
> >file sit? One candidate is tools/ but it's not really a tool. Another
> >candidate is dmd/src/ because that would be the first thing anyone
> >depends on.
>
> Oh God, please no. I really, really hate that the makefiles are are
> looking in folders outside of the repositories.

+1. Makefiles that reference paths outside the repo are really really
evil. They only ever work for the specific setup the author has, and
breaks for everybody else.

> >Ideas?
>
> If you really want to do something like this I would recommend
> creating a new repository, acting like a super repository, including
> the other repositories as submodules. Then you can create a new
> makefile that builds everything. Although, I still don't want the
> makefiles in the existing repositories be dependent on the new
> repository.
[...]

+1, this is a much better approach than introducing yet more extra-repo
hard-coded paths into the makefiles. There are too many of those
already.

Truth, Sir, is a cow which will give [skeptics] no more milk, and so
they are gone to milk the bull. -- Sam. Johnson