Why exceptions for error handling is so important

Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 14 10:44:19 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 8:26 PM, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 02:40:20 UTC, Jeremy Powers via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>

>>> http://www.artima.com/intv/handcuffs.html
>>>
>>> The best sum up of checked exception you'll find.
>>>

>> False.
>>
>> Unless you mean 'the best sum up of the problems people have with checked
>> exceptions' - it gives a good description of how use of checked exceptions
>> often goes wrong.
>>

> Full stop. I made that mistake myself various time, so I can talk from
> experience here.
>
> This is a completely wrong mindset. If people have problem with checked
> exception, then there IS a problem with checked exception, not people. You
> won't be able to change people, so you'd better focus on changing checked
> exceptions.

You are completely right.  Let me rephrase:

The article gives a good overview of the places where checked exceptions
are weak, and where people have problems with them.  The things it mentions
have best-practice work arounds (or are actually features), and do not
invalidate all the usefulness that checked exceptions provide.

It would be great if there were some other scheme instead of checked
exceptions, or a slightly different design of them, if it gave me the same
advantages without the issues.  Unfortunately I have not seen one yet.