Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 00:30:21 PST 2015

On 15/01/2015 8:35 p.m., Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-01-15 02:48, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>
>> Dub can run external processes but its best to leave it up to the end
>> dev to run the c/assembly generation. When they want it regenerated.
>> I think its best we commit most of the binary outputs.
>> Mostly c/assembly generation. Not the D stuff.
>
> Why don't you want to build the C/assembly stuff? The user is already
> expected to have a C compiler installed.

Imagine your wanting to get some new flash feature (doesn't require
compiler change) by just adding druntime/phobos as a dependency via dub.
You don't really want to recompile the assembly/c stuff that almost
definitely hasn't changed.

Not many people may want to do that. But it should be reasonable to do so.
But this is mostly a Windows issue then posix. There its pretty well
defined. Windows ergg.