Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 04:27:07 PST 2015

On 16/01/2015 1:19 a.m., Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-01-15 09:30, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>
>> Imagine your wanting to get some new flash feature (doesn't require
>> compiler change) by just adding druntime/phobos as a dependency via dub.
>> You don't really want to recompile the assembly/c stuff that almost
>> definitely hasn't changed.
>
> Why not? It's more likely you'll run in to problems with forgetting to
> compile it when it really has changed.

In this case I think its pretty close between checking in and not.
Atleast for me, I generally keep my D environment separate from e.g. VC
so things like this could get difficult unless it was configured per
machine like it is for dmd.

>> Not many people may want to do that. But it should be reasonable to do
>> so.
>> But this is mostly a Windows issue then posix. There its pretty well
>> defined. Windows ergg.
>
> If it's only a problem on Windows, don't compile it on Windows :). The
> other platforms should suffer because of this.

Technically there is one assembly file required by druntime for Windows
that can't even be compiled on any 32 or 64bit computer... and is
checked into git.