What is the D plan's to become a used language?

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 09:32:10 PST 2015

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 16:53:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/15/15 1:42 AM, weaselcat wrote:
>> On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 07:58:47 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, it would be great if we could crowdsource a cornucopia
>>> of "how
>>> to" topics in D. -- Andrei
>>
>> D is the 8th most popular language on Rosetta Code(I think
>> most of the
>> entries are from a single person - Bearophile), it's within
>> ~25 entries
>> of C, Ruby, etc.
>
> Way to go bearophile! Could somebody please insert a reference
> to Rosetta Code on dlang.org?
>
>> There's also the cookbook on the wiki that's unfinished.
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Cookbook
>> and the tutorial page
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Tutorials
>
> Well those need to be finished before we advertise them.
>

> Andrei

I suppose such things will never be really 'finished', but indeed
they are of uneven quality, and sort of scattered.  Seems like a
rather random collection of stuff, which is a testament to the
project's open source nature.

Finally, one issue with using a Wiki in general is that it would
be nice if any code snippets in D howto's, FAQs, tutorials, etc
could be run through the latest DMD release so that it doesn't
get 'out of step' with the current language. I suppose if most of
the Howto's/Tutorials were written in DDOC the Howto/Tutorials
could be run through the auto-tester ... but I am not sure
exactly how this would be done/how difficult it would be.