What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 10:00:36 PST 2015

We're kinda going off topic here, but..

(BTW, I just hit escape AGAIN after typing that. my vim habits
are going overgrown!)

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 16:31:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Right, and it is more fun if you get response on reddit etc, so
> something short and useful that the reader can expand for
> her/his own cute little gadget is probably a good choice?

yeah. I actually did the stack thing in the last issue because
someone asked about it on reddit so I figured it is a kinda
hotish topic.

> Oauth2.0 is not so complicated, but it is annoying to wade
> through all the irrelvant stuff on the web...

My thing is mostly doing the 1.0 version, and the complication
wasn't even so much the thing itself, but the varying
interpretations of the "standard" that were around a few years
ago. Like Twitter was case insensitive and LinkedIn wasn't and
they expected different names and just silly little things like
that. And, of course, when it fails, it just says "bad
signature", you don't know why...

I think it is all working well now though, I've used that oauth.d
with a bunch of services, at least last year, I didn't do so much
D web stuff in 2014.

> Sounds fun! Could break it up into 6 parts over 6 weeks:

hmm, I could play with that. (also snipping a lot of other good
ideas throughout btw)

> The CSS stuff might be a useful startingpoint for Manu's
> std.colour library?

Maybe, though I just kinda hacked it together without knowing a
great deal about the underlying theory, so Manu would probably do
a better job than I did anyway.

> Stuff like this sounds like a hit. Fun to read about even if
> you don't need it. I think geeks like to learn about what is
> under the hood of things they use.

Ah, but it is easy! On Windows especially, they offer a new
XInput dll that is made specifically for the xbox 360 controller
and has super easy access to all its features. The hardest thing
for me has been reconciling it with my old PS1 controller which I
prefer the shape of...

I suppose I could talk about it anyway though, there's a few nice
bits of implementation we could go over.

> Nice topic. "How to create your own dynamic type in D."

I'm thinking about doing this at dconf this year!