Common makefile (gasp) stuff

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 10:27:35 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 04:08:14PM +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Important thing here is that starting with git 1.8.2 it is possible to
> set submodule to track head of remote branch instead of fixed commit
> hash - which fixes the maintenance issue and is exactly the thing
> needed for meta-dlang repo.

Very nice!! I wasn't aware of that... I must be behind the times. :-P

@Andrei: I think this nullifies about 50% of the naysayers' arguments
against git submodules. Another issue is also that people used git
submodules for things it wasn't intended for, and got burned as a
result. Not really the fault of the feature. There *are* still some
things to be desired, though, so it's not quite perfect yet. But it
should be a lot more usable than before.

What are you when you run out of Monet? Baroque.