What is the D plan's to become a used language?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 10:43:48 PST 2015

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 18:00:38 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> We're kinda going off topic here, but..

Getting dependency free cook-book stuff on the web, that you just
cut'n'paste into your editor could have a huge influence on D
becoming more used.  Encouraging people to write small utilities
that run faster than scripting languages allow with the same
amount of typing.

There's something to the phrase: «Show, don't tell!»

> (BTW, I just hit escape AGAIN after typing that. my vim habits
> are going overgrown!)

I get the same feeling when going from Emacs to Windows... Ctrl-X
Ctrl-S. Very annoying to first delete a lot of stuff and then
saving it... :-/

> I think it is all working well now though, I've used that
> oauth.d with a bunch of services, at least last year, I didn't
> do so much D web stuff in 2014.

All the google stuff is Oauth2, I think. But without a «show,
don't tell» cut'n'paste solution I'm more like "sounds
complicated and tedious, it can wait...".

> Ah, but it is easy! On Windows especially, they offer a new
> XInput dll that is made specifically for the xbox 360
> controller and has super easy access to all its features. The
> hardest thing for me has been reconciling it with my old PS1
> controller which I prefer the shape of...
>
> I suppose I could talk about it anyway though, there's a few
> nice bits of implementation we could go over.

I think many have a 1-minute attention span when surfing the web,
so I would worry more about not making it short enough than too
short. You could probably structure such articles so that the fun
part is on the top of the page and the "how to do it" on the
lower part.

Besides it makes for a good reddit/hacker news title, so people
might just comment on it to talk about their own stuff. Which is
good. It still gets D exposure.

>> Nice topic. "How to create your own dynamic type in D."
>
> I'm thinking about doing this at dconf this year!

Neat, Iooking forward to the slides!